The EU Assistance Coordination Department (PAO) is a unit within the Office of the State Minister of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration.
Functions of of the EU Assistanace Coordination Departmen:
- Drafting of the International Agreements other respective documents, as well as project proposals related to the EU Assistance:
- To coordinate the negotiation process between the European Commission and Government of Georgia in order to define priority directions of EU-Georgia Cooperation of the seven years Action Plan;
- To coordinate the negotiation process in drafting of the Annual Action Plans between the European Commission and Government of Georgia within the framework of seven years Action Plans;
- To draft and conclude financial agreements of the agreed priorities within the Annual Action Plans;
- The overall coordination of preparing and implementation process of EU Assistance programmes/projects:
- To support the Georgian Public Services, Local Self-Governments, Non-Governmental Organizations, Educational Institutions and Trade Unions during the preparation process of the respective documents related to programmes and projects (SPSP,Twinning,TA (Tachnical Assistance), TAIEX, SIGMA, CIB, BS CBC) accessible for Georgia within the framework of the Geographical Instruments;
- Informational and Consultation Activities, including organisation of the following events:
- Local and regional conferences related to the EU Programmes and Projects with the aim of introducing information and sharing of best practices;
- Workshops and seminars for the Beneficiary Countries (BC) of the EU Programmes and Projects;
- Trainings aimed at improving the skills and qualifications of Beneficiary Countries during the implementation process of EU Programmes and Projects;
- To prepare, publish and disseminate informational newsletters and leaflets.
The EU Assistance Coordination Department (PAO) is supported by the EU funded technical assistance project "Support to the PAO in the Application and Coordination of Institution Building Facilities" which is implemented by the Austrian company - Human Dynamics.This is the third EU funded project to support to the EU Assistance Coordination Department / PAO. The project was launched in January 2012 and will last untill the end of 2014.
The overall objective of the project is to support the Government of Georgia in the application and implementation of the Institutional Building Programmes in terms of the successful execution of the reform agenda of the Government towards deeper of the EU integration.
The EU funded assistance Project has two main purposes:
- To strengthen the capacity of the State Minister's office of Georgia on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration in the identification, preparation and implementation of the EU funded projects, including the Comprehensive Institution Building (CIB) programme;
- To support the EU Assistance Coordination Department (PAO) at the State Minister's Office as the central institution for the promotion, planning and implementation of the EU Assistance instruments, such as Technical Assistance, Twinning, TAIEX, SIGMA, budget support, grant modalities etc.
The project has four components:
- Component 1 aims to support the Office of the State Minister through capacity building to enable it to assume the strategic and technical leadership to manage EU external assistance;
- Component 2 aims to support the EU Assistance Coordination Department/PAO of the State Minister’s Office with operational guidance, coordination and sustainability in relation to the management of the EU institution building instruments such as Twinning, TAIEX and SIGMA;
- Component 3 aims to support the State Minister’s Office to efficiently implement Georgia’s obligations under the Association Agreement (AA) including the Deep and Comprehensive Trade Area (DCFTA) negotiations;
- Component 4 aims to support the State Minister’s Office in increasing the effectiveness of external assistance coordination at the level of the Government of Georgia;